Thursday 7 January 2016

Arrow Review Season 1-3

*Warning: Contains Spoilers

So I started watching this over the Christmas holidays because my brother kept going on about it for years, telling me to watch it. Honestly, I thought it would be some sort of normal boy action tv series that I wouldn't be interested in seeing. Of course I am a girl, so I am more interested in drama with a bit of sideline romance. But I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching it. Actually thats an understatement. I have binge watched the first three seasons within two weeks, and that was with my busy work schedule and holiday events. 

For those of you who haven't heard of Arrow, here is a description I found on IMDB.

Spoiled billionaire playboy Oliver Queen is missing and presumed dead when his yacht is lost at sea. He returns five years later a changed man, determined to clean up the city as a hooded vigilante armed with a bow.

There is a lot more depth to the story than your classic super hero which intrigued me. He had been tortured, learnt new skills he never thought he would need, and escaped death numerous of times over the five years. All things that changed who is was as a person. And bit my bit though flashbacks we uncover layers of him as they show his past. Of course, there is also a bit of defeating the bad guys in the present. But there was also not only Oliver adapting from "coming back from the dead", but his family and friends too. And they all had a past and change they went through in the past five years too. His mother got involved with the bad guys, his sister got caught up in drugs, his best friend fell in love with his ex-girlfriend and she herself had to deal with the death of her sister, the split of her parents and her dad's alcohol problem.

There was romance too. First Oliver had to accept his ex-girlfriend was in love with his best friend. Then he fell in love with a women who he accidentally turned into a bad guy, only after revenge for the death of her fiancé by killing her father. Then after the death of his best friend, he attempted to get back with his ex, Laurel, but they felt too guilty. Then there was a women who nearly died. So he wasn't very lucky in love. But then right in front of him all this time was his accomplice, IT Tech Geek, Felicity Smoak. Who he finally realised his love for, when it was almost too late. There was also a romance between Oliver's sister, Thea and this guy Roy, who the Arrow/Oliver saves. He then ends up helping Oliver defeat the bad guys and is in a relationship with Thea.

So basically even all the sideline characters have drama. And real problems, not something stupid like, "this boy doesn't like me back", or "oh,  I cheated on someone." They have deep emotional problems, dealing with loss of friends and family, substance abuse and lose of identity.

I think Arrow is almost more about the deep stuff than a guy dressed in a hood, running around, shooting bad guys with arrows. And for any girls who still aren't persuaded to watch, Oliver is freaking hot too. That is a good enough reason alone to watch. (Many shirtless scenes.)

So that is my rough review of Arrow. If you haven't already, please watch. You will get hooked.

- Random Girl xx




No comments:

Post a Comment